Saturday, July 08, 2006

Marty, my first dog.

Mart.jpg Marty cost £4 in 1981 from the local Cats & Dogs home. I'd already decided on a small dog, as I only have a small garden, and small dog = less food & less mess! I was looking around in the pens and have almost decided on a little black dog, when 'Him Indoors' called me over to the big dogs enclosure. It was a very hot day, and all the big dogs were lying around, panting in the sun, and standing in the middle of them was this little mongrel (with a hint of Jack Russell) barking his little head off! We were told that he was in with the big dogs because he was too boisterous and noisy and upset the smaller ones, but that he was a nice dog, about a year old and had been brought in as a stray.


Well, we took him home on trial and he soon settled in -BUT- he wasn't housetrained and as novice dog owners, it was a trying time.
The trial period was ending, and I decided perhaps it wasn't such a good idea, and that he should go back. 'Him Indoors' reluctantly agreed with me but when I realised how happy Marty looked, every time he saw us, eyes shining, stumpy tail wagging - I knew he was going to stay.


Some weeks later when we were out, some gipsy kids came running over. "Look" they yelled "It's Gran's dog" and Marty did seem to recognise them. The children explained that Jason was their Gran's dog but they had to get rid of him because he kept killing their chickens!
Marty was a very mischevious dog, and very loyal companion. He lived to the age of 16 when sadly he became a victim of cancer. After almost a year of taking him to animal healing, and chemotherapy, we had to have him put to sleep. He is buried in a pet cemetery in the countryside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home