Monday, July 10, 2006

An apple a day?

I just prefer them when the juice is fermented.

I have always loved the taste of cider. As a child, apart from a tiny glass of Guinness or Mackeson with my Sunday roast, my favourite drink was Corona Cydapple. Non-alchoholic of course, but cider-flavoured fizzy pop. Instead of ice-cream, I'd always choose the cider-flavour ice lolly. Now I can't seem to find these, or even an equivalent any more.
At Christmas, Dad used to get bottles of Cydrax, again, this was non-alchoholic and not as fizzy as pop. The strap line was "Cider's little sister" and it was pure heaven.

In later years, after many flirtations with various drinks including Bacardi & Coke, gin & tonic, even brandy & Babycham, I have returned to the fold of cider drinkers, with the occasional vacation into real ale territory. I can also enjoy a glass of wine, but I am not a spirits drinker at all. Whiskey, I'm afraid, I call 'Devil's urine' and that weird Pimm's stuff, allegedly popular at Wimbledon, just tastes like cold tea to me.

Yes, as a Westcountry maid, cider's the one. Not just any old cider though, not the ghastly fizzy, fermented glucose solution found in plastic bottles at the supermarket. Heaven forbid, that the cheap, gut-rot super-strength 'white cider' shall ever pass my lips again. No, I mean real cider, and only some supermarket available varieties.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home